Although the instructors are contractors and not employees of the Playful Pencil; they do represent the business and for some participants, the instructor may be the only representative of the business whom they will be in contact with. For this reason, instructors are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner when delivering their programs.
All course registration is processed by the Playful Pencil. Instructors are not responsible for collecting any money. Participants who have not registered and paid for a program may not participate until payment has been received. We require attendance to be taken at the beginning of every class to ensure all participants are fully enrolled.
Program fees and instructor percentage
There are a minimum and maximum number of participants for each course. If the minimum course requirement number is not reached the course will be cancelled. Generally that minimum number is 3. The maximum number of participants is 12. The program fee rate is based upon several factors including, the competitive rate of similar program instructors and program supplies. For this reason, some programs will have a higher fee for participants than other courses, but as a general guideline for a basic course requiring limited supplies the rate charged per hour per participant is $15.
The Playful Pencil receives payment from the program participants and retains 25% of the total revenue for the program. The remaining 75% is paid to the instructor at the end of the program session. A sample of the instructor/studio revenue is below:
|*Program fee per hour per student||Number of hours per program||Min # students||Max # students||Min 8 wk Instructor Income 75%||Max 8 wk Instructor Income 75%||Min 8 wk Studio Income 25%||Max 8 wk Studio Income 25%|
*supplies cost extra – so either the students are required to purchase supplies separately, or the cost of the program is increased to cover supplies.
Information regarding program is published in Island Parent magazine and is available on the Playful Pencil website. In addition, all programs will be promoted on Facebook and Twitter at least three times per session and will be advertised in our monthly newsletter.
Any additional advertising done by a contracted Instructor must still be represented as a Playful Pencil program and contain the Playful Pencil logo.
Instructors will be provided with an updated roster at the beginning of each programming session and any changes will result in a revised roster sheet being printed for the instructor. The Playful Pencil requires attendance be completed for each class in the session.
If a program does not receive the minimum registration then the instructor will be informed at least 3 days prior to the program start date if the course is to be cancelled.
Instructors are responsible for any set-up and take-down of equipment required for their program. They are also responsible to leave the studio in the same and/or better condition than it was found.